With Strand Fitness Central’s Recovery Zone the “Oasis, Fire & Ice” coming to the final stages, we thought we would let you in on some of the amazing uses you can get out of the zone! First up is our Infrared Sauna!
What is an Infrared Sauna?
Infrared saunas use Infrared light which is not visible light, rather you can feel it as heat. This works simply through the wavelength length of infrared light, where it can penetrate skin cells up to two centimetres below the skin surface. This encourages skin cells to stimulate warmth, growth and release – creating the heat from the inside out!
Getting into the science of this – the infrared light stimulates the light receptors inside the mitochondria. The metabolic pathways that allow for DNA repair and correct regulation of enzymes that manage gene transcription and expression. In simple terms: this causes the mitochondria to activate its functions as a detoxifier, repairer and regenerator.
So what does this do for the body?
- Infrared light makes the cells active and able to detoxify, repair and regenerate.
- Stimulates the cell to make new cells – which means more action in the body such as repairing muscles and boosts recovery with sprains, strains and muscle spasms.
- Stops the inflammatory response and the release of chemicals that cause pain and damage to the tissue.
You are aiming for big, fit healthy mitochondria for your health and longevity. This is where the heat comes into helping you achieve this as the heat stress encourages the body to generate more and larger, more powerful mitochondria – which in turn work more efficiently for you!
For this benefit you are recommended to aim for at least 10-15 minute sessions 2-3 times a week!
Other Benefits of Infrared Saunas:
- Helps relieve stress and regulate mood – The heat exposure elevates serotonin levels.
- Improves circulation – by the heat causing your blood vessels to dilate – increasing blood flow. As a result your heart can pump more nutrients and oxygenated blood to parts of the body where it is needed (e.g. helps muscle recovery).
- Temporarily relieves pain – thanks to the increased blood.
- Increases your heart rate – similar to a cardiovascular workout.
- Burns Calories.
- Improves your immune system – by tricking your immune system into thinking you are running a low-grade fever and triggers an immune response to create a base immune army as well as deterring viruses from reproducing.
- Helps get rid of toxins in your body – by sweating out toxins such as heavy metals that can lurk in your deeper tissues (which infrared can reach better compared to other saunas).
- Increases muscle mass gained after training as well as increase flexibility – (when stretching during sauna session).
- Improves skin health – by improving skin renewal, cell health and tissue growth, plus the light helps to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin (helps you look younger).
We can’t wait for you to start sing the Oasis, Fire and Ice recovery zone to help you achieve your health and fitness goals! We are hoping to open this zone in the next month or so – stay posted on our socials for updates!